Happy 20th anniversary, Harry Potter! I may not talk a lot about these books on my blog, but to say that Harry Potter changed my life would be an understatement. I met a lot of my closest friends through a shared love for this series, and these books shaped my life in a pretty big way. In honor of that, I decided to do this Ultimate Harry Potter tag, which I borrowed from Reads and Dreams. This tag was created by Isabeau’s Literary Musings.
1. Favourite book?
Order of the Phoenix. Which I know is an unpopular opinion, but it’s always been my favorite. I love how bleak it is but also how hopeful, I love the spirit of resistance in that book, and The Lost Prophecy is one of my favorite chapters ever (probably second only to The Forest Again.)
2. Least favourite book?
Without a doubt, Half-Blood Prince. Every time I re-read it I like it less and less. I’m interested in Tom Riddle’s backstory, but not much else. There’s also too much Dumbledore. I can’t stand Dumbledore.
3. Favourite movie?
My movie opinions are so unpopular, but it’s got to be Deathly Hallows part 2. While it wasn’t a technically faithful adaptation, I felt like it captured the spirit of the book in a way that a lot of the other movies didn’t, including Deathly Hallows part 1, which was a very faithful adaptation scene-by-scene but which just lacked something for me.
4 Least favourite movie?
Either Prisoner of Azkaban because I loathe the tone and vibe of that movie, which was trying so hard to be dark and edgy it came across as utterly soulless, or Order of the Phoenix because I think it missed the point of that book entirely.
5 Favourite quote?
The Snitch. His nerveless fingers fumbled for a moment with the pouch at his neck and he pulled it out.
I open at the close.
Breathing fast and hard, he stared down at it. Now that he wanted time to move as slowly as possible, it seemed to have sped up, and understanding was coming so fast it seemed to have bypassed thought. This was the close. This was the moment.
He pressed the golden metal to his lips and whispered, “I am about to die.”
6. Favourite Weasley?
This is a weird answer, but actually, Percy. I think he’s the most interesting and multifaceted, and his redemption arc breaks my heart. I think it’s important to remember how young he was when he was seduced by this Big Important Job which essentially manipulated him away from his family. (He is not actually Percy the cat’s namesake, though.)
7. Favourite female character?
It has to be Hermione. She’s the first character that I felt really connected to, and I admire her bravery and loyalty.
8. Favourite villain?
You know, one of my favorite plot twists in the series has always been the reveal that Goblet of Fire-Moody is Barty Crouch Jr., so I’m going to go with him. But also Tom Riddle/Voldemort.
9. Favourite male character?
Harry Potter. Harry Potter always has been and always will be my favorite Harry Potter character.
10. Favourite professor?
McGonagall. I fucking love her.
WOULD YOU RATHER
11. A, Wash Snape’s hair, or B, spend a day listening to Lockhart rant about himself.
B. It would be amusing. Lockhart is actually one of my favorite comedic characters in the series.
12. A, duel an elated Bellatrix, or B, an angry Molly
B. Bellatrix still scares me too much.
13. Travel to Hogwarts via A. Hogwarts Express or B. flying car.
A. I’ve always wanted to ride the Hogwarts Express.
14. A, Kiss Voldemort. Or B, give Umbridge a bubble bath.
A., with the caveat that he looks like Christian Coulson as Tom Riddle.
15. A, ride a hippogriff, B, ride a firebolt
B. I used to horseback ride, and the idea of my horse suddenly flying sounds utterly terrifying. More control with a firebolt.
BOOK TO MOVIE ADAPTATION
16. Is there a character which you felt differently about in the movies vs books?
While I never even cared about her all that much in the books, the movies utterly destroyed Ginny.
17. Is there a movie you preferred instead of the book?
18. Richard Harris or Michael Gambon as Dumbledore?
Richard Harris, though I’m not sure his performance would have fit the tone of the later films. I’d be interested to see how that would have worked. I hate Michael Gambon’s Dumbledore though.
19. Your top thing (person or event) which wasn’t included in the movie that annoyed you most.
Harry’s interview with Rita Skeeter in Order of the Phoenix. It was such a seminal moment in Harry taking actions into his own hands while everything else was outside his control.
20. If you could remake any of the Potter movies, which would it be?
Order of the Phoenix. Everything about that movie was wrong.
21. Which house was your first gut feeling you’d be a part of?
22. Which house were you actually sorted into on Pottemore (or another online sorting quiz)?
Gryffindor (lol), but on other online quizzes I always get Ravenclaw.
23. Which class would be your favourite?
I have always wanted to try Transfiguration. But given that I was quite good at Latin in school I think I’d probably be good at Ancient Runes.
24. Which spell do you think would be most useful to learn?
Accio. Ugh, so much envy for that spell.
25. Which character do you think at Hogwarts you’d instantly become best friends with?
Neville and Hermione.
26. If you could own one of the three Hallows, which would it be?
Invisibility Cloak. There are way more real world applications for that than the other two.
27. Is there any aspect of the books you’d want to change? This can be a character, an event, anything.
This is an obvious answer, but, the epilogue. I’ve reread the series more times than I can count (at least 10 times each), but I’ve only read the epilogue once. Once was enough.
28. Favourite marauder?
Remus. He’s the Harry Potter character I’ve always most identified with, and honestly, the only Marauder who I find very interesting. I guess I’d like to know more about James. Peter is vile, and (unpopular opinion to end all unpopular opinions) I cannot stand Sirius.
29. If you could bring one character back to life, which would it be?
Cedric. This has always been my worst Harry Potter death.
30. Hallows or horcruxes?
Hallows. I’m a little afraid of anyone who chooses Horcruxes for this. Unless it’s like, which one you find more interesting. That’s fair. Anyone who would choose to make a Horcrux though is scary.