January 3rd: 2018 Reading Resolutions: Self explanatory. Let us know 5 of your reading goals for the year.
- Read at least 75 books. Like last year, I purposefully set my Goodreads challenge goal on the low end of the spectrum of what I think I’m capable of. But I know myself and my tendency to obsess over arbitrary goals and numbers, so if I set my GR challenge to 100, I know I’d purposefully sacrifice longer books out of fear of not reaching that goal, which is silly. 75 gives me some more leniency. If I reach 100 again, great, but if I only read 75, that is perfectly respectable.
- Read at least one book in Italian. One does not sound like a lot, but I told myself I’d do it this year and I didn’t, so I’m starting with a low goal to hold myself accountable. I’m thinking I’ll start with Fosca by Ugo Tarchetti, which I’ve read bits of, but which I have not read in its entirety. I also have Il nome della rosa by Umberto Eco on my shelf taunting me, but I’m intimidated by its length. Forse dovrei praticare con un libro più breve…
- Use the library more often. Self-explanatory. I almost never use my library and there’s no excuse for it.
- Request fewer Netgalley ARCs/spend more time reading books I already own. This goal is hard to quantify, because I don’t intend to quit ARCs altogether… but basically, I have a tendency to browse Netgalley, think ‘oh, that looks cool,’ and click request, and I want to stop doing that, because I’ve found some of my absolute worst books that way. I only want to request books that were already on my radar, either from general community hype or word of mouth from my friends. Also my shelves are overflowing, so I really need to put aside some time to read books I already own. I want to spend at least one straight month reading only books off my shelves at some point.
- Read at least one classic and at least one play each month. Or maybe I’ll occasionally have them overlap by reading a classic play. Basically, I love classics and I love plays, but I tend to not read them as often as I’d like. Classics because I do have to deliberately set aside time for them as they tend to not be quick reads, and plays because they’re SUCH quick reads that I take it for granted that I can read them whenever I like, and I end up putting them off.
What are your 2018 reading goals? Let me know!