- My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh ★★★★☆
- The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker ★★★★★
- The Mars Room by Rachel Kushner (Man Booker) ★★★★☆
- Eden by Andrea Kleine ★★★★☆
- Snap by Belinda Bauer (Man Booker) ★★☆☆☆
- I’ll Be Right There by Kyung-Sook Shin, translated by Sora Kim-Russell ★★☆☆☆
- The Bakkhai by Euripides (reread), translated by Anne Carson ★★★★☆
- Lab Girl by Hope Jahren (audiobook) ★★☆☆☆
- Milkman by Anna Burns (Man Booker) ★★★★☆
- Revenge by Yoko Ogawa, translated by Stephen Synder ★★★★☆
- Macbeth by Shakespeare (reread) ★★★★★
- Everything Under by Daisy Johnson (Man Booker) ★★★★☆
Favorite: The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker
Honorable mentions: Macbeth by Shakespeare (obviously), My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh, Milkman by Anna Burns, Everything Under by Daisy Johnson, Revenge by Yoko Ogawa
Least favorite: Snap by Belinda Bauer
AUGUST TOTAL: 12
YEARLY TOTAL: 91
So as you can see, it was a solid reading month aside from that 2-star streak in the middle, and it’s been quite Man Booker heavy. I really did not go into this planning on reading the entire longlist, but it looks like that’s where I may be heading… I own a copy of In Our Mad and Furious City, I won a copy of Normal People, and I have library holds on Warlight, The Overstory, and Washington Black, so, those are all definitely on my horizon.
Currently reading: Far from the Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy (lol I haven’t picked this up in weeks, I’m sorry Thomas Hardy!!! I’m enjoying it but I just have so much going on reading-wise and it keeps getting shuffled to the bottom of the pile), The Line That Held Us by David Joy, The Whole Story and Other Stories by Ali Smith, The Only Girl in the World by Maude Julien (audiobook).
What was the best book you read in August? Comment and let me know!