Kicking off my end of year round up series with a fun one: favorite covers.
To be completely honest with you, I don’t think 2019 was a very strong year for book covers. While compiling this list I kept finding myself drawn to 2020 releases, but I wanted to stick with books published this year. That said, there were some highlights! It’s interesting to me that I was drawn to a lot of busy covers this year (with notable exceptions) when in general I describe my taste as preferring minimalist cover design. Case in point: this is probably my favorite cover ever. But for whatever reason, these are the ones that won me over this year.
I’m also (evidently) a sucker for the white text on a black and white photo design. Sorry.
I’m also including one title from late 2018 that I hadn’t included in my previous year’s post. Sorry sorry.
- Throw Me to the Wolves by Patrick McGuinness (Bloomsbury)
- On Swift Horses by Shannon Pufahl (Fourth Estate, UK)
- Find Me by André Aciman (FSG)
- Night Boat to Tangier by Kevin Barry (Canongate, UK)
- On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous by Ocean Vuong (Penguin Press)
- Lie With Me by Philippe Besson (Scribner)
- The End of Loneliness by Benedict Wells (Penguin Books)
- Liar by Ayelet Gundar-Goshen (Pushkin Press)
- Divide Me By Zero by Lara Vapnyar (Tin House Books)
- Valerie by Sara Stridsberg (FSG)
- Tell Them of Battles, Kings & Elephants by Mathias Énard (New Directions)
What’s your favorite cover from 2019? Comment and let me know!